Saturday, September 06, 2014

Why piracy is necessary

Hello! I am going to advocate for a right that is illegal to say the least - piracy. Yes, I am going to do so. I am not going to stay in those diplomatic or a puritan shell where everybody considers you right. I may be wrong, but I can say that that after reading this article, everybody will either whisper secretly in their dorm diplomatic cocoons or come out of their shells and say it loud and clear - "I support piracy."

So, let's start off with a negative note - why piracy should NOT exist: games, movies, songs and softwares can be copied and used for free for which lots of money, time and effort has undergone.
That is just one statement why all these companies like anti-piracy campaigns. These companies support SOPA and PIPA and all the load of shit that has ever come out in the form of bills or white papers or .... or anything.

So, why is piracy a necessary evil?

I will explain you with an example: friction. Okay, anyone who has read any bit of friction (even in the junior classes) has read that friction causes wear and tear of machines. Right? And you could use ball bearings to overcome that. But remember - you can walk on earth only because of friction. Imagine if there were no friction - you couldn't walk to your home toilet to pee. Frightened?

Now I will compare that example exactly with this: piracy causes money losses to companies. It can be overcome by anti-piracy bills and DVD/BluRay/USB encryptions. But remember - you can't copy it to view movies on a smartphone, which does not have a USB port or DVD reader. You can't copy it to preserve it as DVD/BluRay can become useless within 5 years of purchase due to physical scratches or extreme heat exposure.

Today I can attribute the preservation of years old Sega Genesis, SNES, NES, Atari and any other old gaming console cartridges to the pirate guys who ripped the cartridges. The rare ones which haven't been ripped must be ripped to preserve them. Of course, that could mean piracy of even those cartridges. I have a solution to that - but that could mean "PIRACY" because their makers can't make money out of that product anymore. Stop being such cry babies, okay anti-piracy advocates?
Today I can attribute the preservation of old songs and old movies to pirates. Today I can attribute preserved old scanned copies of manuscripts and documents to pirates (and maybe some officials?). Today I can attribute those old historical photos/pics you could show to your child/grandson on your PC or phone to piracy.

All the past that could be preserved somehow has been preserved by pirates. These bills and advocacy are only making it harder to preserve them in digital form.

One more instance: I wanted to watch an Indian movie that was copyrighted and was on an encrypted DVD. My father wanted to watch it on my PC. But I had to publish this article since it had been 10 days since I published an article (my frequency is an article every 7 days). So I used the great, powerful Freemake to rip that darn encrypted DVD. It took around 50 minutes to rip that DVD, but now I can simply copy the AVI file on a microSD card or a USB to watch it on a smartphone or tablet.

That is a real example, as a person on Earth (and not Utopia) can identify well with that situation.

I will use a video here. Credits to Question Copyright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

Request you strongly to go to this page: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

I will use some pictures. Credits to the links are below each image.











I want to leave you with one last question: if you were in their place, would you stop making money out of a movie, song or software after... let's say three years?

If no, then you are pretty much like other companies (Sony, Norton, Microsoft etc.) who don't drop off the anti-piracy tag even after years when they don't make that song "LEGALLY" available to you. Don't support piracy.

If yes, then you have made 99% of the money you could ever and that 1% of making money could sting the civilians and people to being supportive for anti-anti-piracy = PIRACY.